Thursday, January 10, 2008

It's Been A while

It's been a while since I've written. Life has been so daily. But, I've got a blip on the radar now - I'm off to the Big Island tomorrow for three days to attend a writer's workshop. I just checked the temperature at Volcano Village, 65 high, 45 low. I'm going to like that that.

I learned of the workshop on the Internet. Don't remember when I first saw notice of it. Then, Louisa sent an e-mail with a link to the workshop website. I said, 'No thanks.' But, I thought about it, applied my usual test to it - On my death bed, am I going to regret spending the money on the workshop or am I going to regret not having gone. I got a very clear answer. So, I'm going.

It is going to be expensive. But, I'm not getting any younger and if not now, when? And, how much more would it cost in time and money to go to something on the mainland? And, it all fell into place as easily as if it was meant to be - I got one of the last two places, got a discount on a nice little cottage from which I can walk to the 'old Japanese school house,' got flights I wanted and a car at a reasonable price.

The topic of the workshop is: In Short - short fiction, prose poems, flash, mini-memoir and Sudden Fiction - that's the one I'm interested in. Team taught by two women writers, one of whom Louisa knows and is working with on an anthology.

Of course, I'm looking forward to this.

Hopping between islands makes me feel rather a jet setter, but I do wish that they still had flights in the old 18-seater planes. Flying between the islands in those was bumpy and scary, but exciting.

And, this weekend is perfect, because next weekend, on Friday, Mr. Katt should arrive.

No comments: