Thursday, December 6, 2007

The Rainy Season

Proud of myself. I figured out how to save photos my brother sent me. I figured out how to select only one, copy it, and past it into the blog. Yay! The group of pictures to the left is from my stepmother's family album. I have no idea who the young woman in a large fur collar is, but I do like the image, and so practiced with it. I even found out how to remove and replace an image in the blog. Power!


It is raining here in Kailua, on Oahu. The air blowing over me from the louvered window on my right is, at last, cool. It sounds like pearls, or maybe pine needles, or . . .a stream or whispers or sighs, and, when it becomes intense, like a crazy soldier-boy drummer. It's been stopping and starting all day. Even from inside the house I can hear it sweeping down on the town in the same way that you hear wind traveling through the trees in the mountains.

I made Chili Verde for dinner tonight. It's the first time I've tried it here in Hawaii. It's not easy to find tomatillos here. I haven't been cooking much, either. We still haven't bought a microwave oven. So far, except for heating the milk for my morning coffee, I don't miss it. I know that I used the one we had back home all the time, but can't remember for what.

Anyway, I made Chili Verde - pork and green chili with pork chops and canned tomatillos and fresh jalapenos, and it came out very well. Lovely sauce. I was uncertain about the canned tomatillos, but they worked just fine. Now we can have Chili Verde any time. I can keep the ingredients in the cupboard.

We've just been through a mini-hurricane--tremendous winds and heavy rain, accompanied by power outages. Had no power all night Monday, and most of the town was without power all day Tuesday. We read in the paper that the whole island was hit very hard, with power poles and lines down everywhere. So, I've bought a propane, one-burner, table-top stove. Now, if the power goes, we can at least heat water or fry an egg. It's against the rules here at the Gardena Manor Condos, no open flame anything on the lanai or in the unit, but as survival equipment I think it's perfectly reasonable. Besides, how would anyone know?

1 comment:

Alice Folkart said...
This comment has been removed by the author.