Monday, June 23, 2008

What Susannah Said

I suppose that we shouldn't mind what our friends say about us, but . . .

I sent the link to my book review to several friends, all of whom responded with oohs and ahhhs, whether they'd read the thing or not. But, my almost-oldest friend, Susannah, came back with, "Nice review. I'd buy the book. What a horrible picture of you. Can you get them to change it?"

I'd thought that the review was pretty good, and, considering my age, that the photo wasn't bad. I'm always startled by photographs of myself because they never look like anyone I know. But, I'd thought that this one, taken by my husband against a white wall in our living room, in the pure, clean Hawaiian light pouring through our dining room skylight, was as close to OK as I'm going to get.

I wrote to Susannh, "You haven't seen me in a while. I've aged. So have you, I'll bet. This is what I look like now. If we want something better for the book review head shot, then, we're going to have to get a different model."

She didn't answer.

Maybe next time I'll send a head shot of the cat looking skeptical.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Here’s a thought: Maybe instead of feeling defensive, you ought to remember that, hey, Susannah's a photographer!!!

Unfortunately, she missed the point entirely.

Your expression is lovely. You look inquisitive and unassuming. The unexpected power of that image is that it opens you to having a conversation with the viewer.
That’s key. You look like you’re about to say “But never mind about me, tell me something about YOU”

That’s so YOU. It’s a powerful image in a way Susannah couldn’t see because she’s caught up in the technicalities of portraiture...not the essence of what it is to capture a moment in time that conveys an idea about a real person.

This is a photo others can relate to. Your expression is an honestly responsive look to the person taking the picture. Someone you love . It could be us! And now we’re talking about ourselves. WE LOVE THAT!

Artificial glamourous bullshit would obscure the real person behind your words.

That wouldn’t be the person who could write the way you do.

Nan